Tuesday, March 31, 2015

FAB FABRIC CARDS.......step into the fairy Garden

At The Gecko Galz Retreat I did a class that taught everyone how to color fabric in fun exciting ways. I love discovering new ways to create amazing backgrounds for my cards and I will admit these ideas were a blast to do!


PAINTING WITH DISTRESS INKS


For this card you take your 4" x 6" piece of cotton and using distress inks in Fadden Jeans, Crushed Olive and Vintage photo you will run it down the length of the fabric in stripes using your blending tool. Then with a wet paint brush add water and let the colors bleed together.
also used on this car: Gecko Galz image, Martha Stewart tinsil yarn, sentiment stamp by Canvas corp, Viva pearl pen in white, stickles in clear.



CRAYOLA BACKGROUND


For this card I used Metalic Crayons by crayola and with a hand held grater I got at the dollar store I grated gree, orange and gold onto my 4" x 6" cotton piece. Take a piece of parchment paper lay down your fabric with the grated crayon on it then add a piece of wax paper and another piece of parchment paper. Using an iron on a cotton setting run over piece allowing the crayons to melt into the fabric. Peel away the wax paper and there you have it.
other tools you will need: Images from Gecko Galz, stickles in Clear, Tulle ribbon


PAINTING WITH GLIMMER MIST


Now for this card I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist to color my background fabric. I used Bronze and brown, and graphite colors and layered them on spraying from a close distance to get the intense rust looking areas. This gives a great vintage look to your fabric.
Other Tools Used: Gecko Galz images, stamp by Canvas Corp, May Arts Ribbon, Viva Pearl Pen in copper, Stickles in clear.


ALCOHOL INKS


Though Alcohol Inks are normally for nonporous surfaces I have discovered if you use the blending solution or rubbing Alcohol you can actually dye fabric in a cool way. I layered on the following colors, Denium, Mermaid and eggplant then squeezed on my blending solution letting the colors blend together. It ends up being very dreamy looking it works even better on silk!
other tools used: Gecko Galz images, Hero Arts stamp, stickles in clear, cream tulle ribbon, viva pearl pen in cream.

Have fun creating with these awesome background ideas and please if you have any background ideas you would like to share comment on this entry I love learning new techniques!
Leanne

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous, Leanne! Love the images and the amazing effect you've achieved with the fabric. Yummy! xxD

    ReplyDelete